Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Review: Rikki By Abigail Strom

Rikki
By: Abigail Strom
Release Date: September 22, 2015
Series: Hart University Book 1

Description:
Ever since junior high and an ill-fated game of seven minutes in heaven, Rikki Eisendrath and Sam Payne have hated each others’ guts. But when they end up at the same college—and the same dorm—they figure it’s time to declare a truce.

They even become friends… sort of. But when Sam asks Rikki to model for his sculpting project, they start spending more time together—and her feelings for him get more complicated.

She tries to focus on the guy she’s been crushing on instead. But Sam’s the one she can’t stop thinking about, even though their arguments are starting to heat up as much as the chemistry between them.

With antagonism and attraction this intense, there’s bound to be an explosion. But when the dust settles, will Sam and Rikki be enemies, friends… or something more?
 

Review:
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end.  There was an innocence and a refreshing view on teenagers talking about sex so openly and without shaming anyone else.  It doesn’t happen often because there is always a sense of shame for some.  I was captivated by the characters and experienced everything with them as they lived their first year in college.

We meet Rikki and Sam in the very beginning when they were 13 and their one moment I knew would last with the both of them throughout their lives because it was so innocent and memorable.  Rikki is a very practical person who likes to distance herself from feeling emotional about anything but she also feels like she’s behind the curve in comparison to everyone else.  This is what led to their chance encounter when they were 13 and even though they have pretended to hate each other through high school and into the beginning of college, I believe since hate is such a strong feeling it’s loosely tied to that other strong emotion of love.

When they both get into the same school they agree to put a truce between the two of them and actually attempt a friendship.  College is fun, I will never forget my college years and so much happens during that time that makes you into the person you will be forever.  It’s those experiences that matter most in your life to help you grow and adapt.  With that said the two of them definitely play a cat and mouse game but neither one of them even is aware that it’s happening. 

I really liked reading about the two of them where some things were so obvious and the other so oblivious it’s sweet because you can’t help but root for them to get together.  Yeah there are some stuff that happen toward then end that I didn’t necessarily agree with but sometimes things happen and you can’t really do anything about it other than try and move on from it.  Again sometimes things happen, but you have to read the book to find out what that something is. 

I genuinely liked all the characters in this book and I can’t wait to find out more about Claire in the next book, although she wasn’t too present this time it will be fun to experience her time at Hart University.  I loved the scenery and the story and I couldn’t put this book down until I absolutely finished it.  That’s saying a lot because usually I have to get up very early in the morning, so that’s how much I liked it.  Can’t wait for the next one and I will unquestionably check out more from this author because I enjoyed the writing style and plot.  Go read this, great start to a good series.


Disclaimer:
I received this book from NetGalley and Abigail Strom, so that I may give my honest opinion and a review. Whether it is good or not please do not let it discourage you from purchasing/reading the book yourself and forming your own opinion. What might be good for me may not be good for you and vice versa. With that said, Happy Reading Everyone!!!

No comments: