Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Review: Between Now & Never by Laura Johnston

Between Now & Never 
By: Laura Johnston
Release Date: March 31, 2015

Description:
Buh boom, buh boom.

My heart thrusts with a force that takes me by surprise. Telling me something I don’t understand. A splitting pain, a longing to slip back under. They tell me I was in a hit-and-run, but I can’t remember what happened that night. All I know is that I woke up with pictures in my pocket, a card from one of those photo booths in the mall. And I’m in the pictures. Cody Rush. Me and…

Julianna.

Her brother was there that night, and my dad, the FBI agent, was the one who put her mom behind bars. What’s the connection? And why won’t Julianna talk to me now? Somehow, she holds the key to it all, and getting close–real close—to her for the answers I need will be no hardship at all…


Review:
This book had me from the prologue, in the photo booth.  I love photo booths, and their one minute experience hooked me in completely.  I couldn’t put the book down at all because I was engrossed in what was happening.  Laura Johnston did a really great job with this book and I’m definitely intrigued about any other books she might have now because of this.

We meet Cody first, he just moved to a new location and is trying to make friends with the other basketball players, but he definitely picked the wrong one, Vic.  Vic is Julianna’s brother and he’s trouble with a capital T, of course Cody doesn’t know this until it’s too late.  The way they officially meet, Cody and Julianna, is super adorable with the photo booth and the chocolates, but the circumstances on Cody’s side is quite an adventure he didn’t want to have.  Running from something bad and then getting into an accident that makes him lose his memory and the fun begins.

Cody is desperate to find out what really happened to him the day he broke his leg and he feels as if Julianna is the key. She is definitely spunky and tries to lay low from everyone, dealing with her family is not the easiest thing as you’ll see reading throughout the book.  But Cody has dimples that you just can’t turn away.  I can only image, sigh.  Anyway so he devises a plan to get to know her better to see if he can figure out exactly what happened to him.  Of course this definitely takes time, and the more time they spend together the more they feel for one another.  It’s all very sweet, their relationship.  You just want to push them together like a magnet.

Cody’s memory comes back in bits in pieces along with old memories he thought he long suppressed about his brother.  So sad, this brother’s story but things happen that are out of your control.  It’s hard losing anyone.  The loss of people in both their lives Cody and Julianna definitely affect the way they are living their lives as well as what they plan to do for the future.  This story was just totally fabulous, I know that sounds stupid and childish but I really enjoyed this book so much that I really couldn’t put it down and read it that quickly.  I think this is something you should pick up as it has a little love, friendship, mean girls, death, police drama, friend drama and just a little bit of everything to keep you hooked from beginning to end.


I think the cover is also adorable and I can completely picture the main characters as the two on the cover, sometimes that’s hard but they described them so much in the book that it’s a good depiction of them that too is rare.  Can’t wait to read another book by this author and you should definitely pick this up as soon as it comes out!  Great easy quick read with a lot of attention grabbing scenes.  

Links:

Disclaimer:
I received this book from Net Galley and Kensington Books / Lyrical Press, so that I may give my honest opinion and a review. Whether it is good or not please do not let it discourage you from purchasing/reading the book yourself and forming your own opinion. What might be good for me may not be good for you and vice versa. With that said, Happy Reading Everyone!!!

No comments: