Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Review: The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry

The Summer I Found You
By: Jolene Perry
Release Date: March 1, 2014

Description:
All they have in common is that they're less than perfect. And all they're looking for is the perfect distraction.

Kate's dream boyfriend has just broken up with her and she's still reeling from her diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. Aidan planned on being a lifer in the army and went to Afghanistan straight out of high school. Now he's a disabled young veteran struggling to embrace his new life. When Kate and Aidan find each other neither one wants to get attached. But could they be right for each other after all?


Review:

I have always enjoyed Jolene Perry's book and this book did not disappoint me at all as I wanted to finish it all in one day.  It was an interesting plot with characters that are facing reality in different ways but doing it together, and at times just distracting one another from having to deal with those realities.  I have always loved how Jolene Perry’s books have a sense of realism to them, like this could really happen, it’s not just a made up story.  Somewhere out there someone is experiencing something these characters are experiencing. 

We meet Kate as she has recently been diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes where she constantly has to give herself insulin shots, but she’s in denial, after all she’s only 17.  Then we also meet Aiden who is back from the ware overseas and has recently lost an arm, so he has his own sets of issues to deal with.  Something they both need to work through and by close relative and friend they meet up.  Kate being the very outspoken person she is has no problem pointing out how much it sucks for Aiden to have only one arm, but that doesn’t deter her from building a bond with him.  It’s kind of sweet, sometimes hard to picture because the reality is he has just one arm, it’s got to be difficult for him to do a lot of things.  He could definitely have been super grumpy but I think he dealt with it a lot better than I’ve seen and heard before.

Overall the story has a lot to do with trust.  One person trusts the other completely and the other is still hiding, not trusting, not believing the things that are happening in their lives.  It’s all about growing up and dealing with things the way they should be dealt with.  It was a light ready with some heavy issues that needed to be addressed and again Jolene Perry did an amazing job telling this story and I’m so happy I got to read it.  There’s something about the worlds she creates that are so memorable.   Not only are these characters broken, but they find purpose in one another.

Overall I liked the concept of the book, always liked Jolene Perry’s books, but I do have to say I was disappointed with the cover.  It has absolutely nothing to do with the book, in my opinion.  Yes I know she wants to go to California and beaches when she goes to college, but that’s now how it happens.  So I don’t get the cover, it’s pretty don’t get me wrong it just doesn’t fit the story at all. Other than that I have no complaints over the book it was sweet, quick paced and a good nice read to lose yourself for the day.
Disclaimer:
I received this book from NetGalley and Albert Whitman & Company, so that I may give my honest opinion and a review. Whether it is good or not please do not let it discourage you from purchasing/reading the book yourself and forming your own opinion. What might be good for me may not be good for you and vice versa. With that said, Happy Reading Everyone!!!

No comments: