Friday, May 17, 2013

Review: Taking Chances by Molly McAdams

Taking Chances
By: Molly McAdams
Release Date: October 16, 2012
Series: Taking Chances #1

Description:
Eighteen year old Harper has grown up under her career Marine of a father's thumb. Ready to live life her own way and experience things she's only ever heard of from the jarheads in her father's unit; she's on her way to college at San Diego State University.

Thanks to her new roommate, Harper is introduced to a world of parties, gorgeous guys, family and emotions. Some she wasn't expecting yet, and others she never knew she was missing.

She finds herself being torn in two as she quickly falls in love with her boyfriend Brandon, and her roommate's brother Chase. Covered in tattoos, known for fighting in the Underground and ridiculously muscled...they're exactly what she was always warned to stay away from, but just what she needs. Despite their dangerous looks and histories, both adore and would do anything for Harper, including stepping back if it means she's happy.

Her first year away is turning out to be near perfect, but one weekend of giving in to heated passion will change everything.


Review:
Ok this book was crazy good with an amazing twist that was completely unexpected and I'm still not sure I really liked that twist but it was a definite WTF moment.  Which doesn't happen too often especially not in the middle of the book.  But wow, that's all just wow.

We meet Harper as she is embarking into a new experience, away from her dad and her marine family and finally experiencing life for the first time at a college far away.  She doesn't really know what to expect from it, just that's she's ready to have fun and find herself.  Her roommate is Bree and they are instantly best friends, they just cliqued from the very beginning.  They are off to a party where Harper meets Chase, who just happens to also be Bree's brother.  There was a strong attraction between them and it was definitely a love hate relationship at first for Harper.  But there were things that held them back from pursuing anything for a while.

This is when Brandon comes into the picture and he is absolutely perfect in every way to Harper, but again even though they started dating something is holding her back from fully being there with him.  Chase.  There is still a pull towards him and she feels completely in love with both of them.  This is all new for her of course and everything is just happening so quickly.  This book spread throughout the year and more and a lot has happened to the girl who was raised by marines and who's father didn't want her.  A lot has happened to the girl who had never gone to school, never gone to a party and wore only plain clothes.  A lot has happened to the girl who never met her mother and never experienced life in general. 

This book explored her emotional rollercoaster of a life that went on during her first year in college, and the relationships she had with not only her roommate, but her family as well as her friends.  She fit right into the group and even though she cause a bit of turmoil between some of the people, she was still a part of the family.  Chase and Brandon didn't get along but they both understood how each other felt for the same girl, and all they wanted to do was protect her and have nothing but the best intentions for her, so it was admirable each time either one would step aside for the other.  And yes there was a major wtf moment in the middle of the book, but I won't say what it was because you will just have to find out for yourself.  It was definitely a draw dropping experience.

I did think that it could have ended sooner, the book that is.  It did seem to drag on and on but I finished it and it was an overall good read, surprisingly after the dragging there was still some excitement thrown in there.  I really love the cover and shows how different the guys really are.  I am totally team Chase but I have to say there were times when I thought he was a bit too literal and hard headed, but then again he was a man lol.  I will say this though that I cried a lot during this book.  There was just so much pure emotion going on, and it was just heartbreaking at times.  Overall great read.  Check it out for real.

Short Excerpt:
“Well, well. If it isn't the princess."

My body tensed and I frowned when I saw him approaching. Narrowing my eyes, I plastered on a fake smile. "I almost didn't recognize you without a tramp attached to you."

Drew and the other guy snickered.

Leaning into my ear he harshly whispered, "Would you like to change that? I'm not up to my limit tonight yet."

Gah, why did he have to be so hot? My body was practically humming with how close he was. I leaned away and replied with the most innocent expression on my face, "Oh I'm sorry, but I don't have any STDs, I'm not your type.”  

No comments: